Q&A with a vegan holistic nutritionist
“What’s with the Bone Broth trend already and why are so many Holistic health care professionals suggesting it? I have been seeing a ND and she has suggested I add this to my diet to heal my gut lining…
What are your thoughts on this matter? I’m torn.
First off – as a vegan, I’m not interested in bone broth, so I haven’t really looked into it before.
After looking up the supposed benefits of bone broth (none of which are proven), I wanted to share from a nutrition perspective how we can get those benefits from plant sources – including my suggestion for a vegan alternative to bone broth…
Dashi stock with miso!
From that, we can get minerals, immune-boosting compounds, and probiotics to help with gut health.
To make dashi stock:
- Fill a large pot with water, add a piece or two of kombu or kelp or some other sea vegetable plus perhaps a dried shiitake mushroom, bring to a boil then leave to simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, remove the seaweed and mushroom, allow to cool below boiling, then stir in a spoonful of miso.
- Lead Contamination in Bone Broth
- Diet Debunked: Bone Broth
- I tried bone broth for a week: Here’s what happened
- What’s New and Beneficial About Miso
- The risk of lead contamination in bone broth diets
- Science Can’t Explain Why Everyone is Drinking Bone Broth
- Enough Already With the Bone Broth Hype
- Taking Stock Of Bone Broth: Sorry, No Cure-All Here
- 8 Bone Broth Benefits That Will Convince You to Try the Trend
Remember: if we didn’t kill the animal in the first place, we wouldn’t have to try to think up ways to use its bones. So it’s really not creating less waste. The more popular bone broth gets, the more demand there is for the “waste” of butchers, the more animals get killed in the long run. Why kill animals for some nebulous health claims? You can get your fill of plants with nebulous health claims – plus many with legit health claims – instead.
Thanks for addressing this strange and seemingly expanding trend. I want to understand it.
And thanks for adding the additional information links.
Yesterday I was in a natural food store that had a large wall section with floor to ceiling shelves filled solely with bone broth products. I was truly surprised! And as a vegan, repelled.
All the best with your new creative re-birth.
thank you, I too was having issues with gut and seeing bone broth everywhere as the magical answer. I will try the vegan version first as I believe that everything I need for my body is found in plants.
That was nice : )