If you haven’t tried savory oatmeal before, you should give it a go! It’s really good – oatmeal works just as well with vegetables as it does with fruit or sweet things.
The thing I love is that rolled oats cook in just a couple of minutes, so it’s a really quick way to have a whole grain with dinner.
Oats have about 12% protein by calories, and almost 10% of the female daily recommended intake of iron, so they’re a great base for a healthy dinner.
Savory Balsamic Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup eggplant cubed
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper chopped
- pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Start the onion and eggplant cooking in a pan on medium heat with a bit of olive oil, water or white wine while you chop the carrot and red pepper.
- Once the eggplant has softened, add the carrot and red pepper for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the oats and some water (about 1/4 cup), stir and leave to let the oats soften for a couple of minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, then turn off the heat and serve.
- This is great topped with toasted sunflower seeds or chopped almonds or fresh sprouts, or served on a bed of massaged kale.