When I was looking through Nava Atlas’ brand new cookbook, the 5-Ingredient Vegan Cookbook, I knew I had to try making this polenta recipe.
First of all, I’d never had polenta before! I’d also never cooked with it before, even though I see it all the time in the grocery store and wonder what to do with it. So you get to see my first time trying it… things got a little messy, when I was trying to figure out how to open the polenta package, but it was a lot of fun and definitely delicious!
Nava Atlas has written several other cookbooks, and is an artist and writer on other topics like the female experience. She is also just a genuinely wonderful person, and I’m thrilled to share her new cookbook with you.
Nava’s new book is filled with 175 delicious 5-ingredient recipes in which simplicity is key. For anyone who’s super-busy (aren’t we all?), craves easy-to-make plant-based dishes, or is newly veg-curious, there’s something for every meal and occasion.
Hope you enjoy the recipe! And be sure to enter the giveaway for your chance to win a copy 🙂
Let us know what you think below!
Polenta with Black Beans and Spinach
- 18- ounce tube polenta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic minced
- 15- to 16- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar or the supermarket olive bar, drained and cut into short strips
- 4 to 5 ounces baby spinach rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut the polenta into 12 even slices, each about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a little of the olive oil to lightly coat a wide nonstick skillet or griddle. Arrange the polenta slices on the surface. Cook over medium-high heat until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat for a minute or so, just until golden.
- Add the beans and roasted pepper. Stir together and cook over medium heat until well heated through.
- Add the spinach, cover, and cook until just wilts, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the mixture together, season with pepper, and remove from the heat.
- To serve, arrange 3 or 4 polenta slices on each plate and spoon the bean mixture evenly over each serving.
Win a copy of the book!
Open to US residents (or mailing addresses) only. Contest closes Thursday October 10th at midnight Eastern.