These vegan sweet potato biscuits are a favorite in my family, there are never leftovers! The recipe was given to me by a friend a few years ago and although it wasn’t a vegan recipe originally, it has easily been adapted into one!
Sweet Potato Biscuits
Servings: 12 biscuits
- 1 small sweet potato
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup whole grain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- Bake the sweet potato at 350F for about 45 minutes until tender. Allow it to cool, then remove the pulp and mash. Measure out 1 cup. Combine the mashed sweet potato in bowl with half the coconut oil and all of the maple syrup.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the potato mixture and blend well with a fork.
- On a floured board, pat the mixture out into a 1/2 inch thick circle and cut into 1 inch rounds, or simply drop spoonfuls of dough. Put them onto greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet, then brush each with some of the melted coconut oil.
- Bake at 375F for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. Serve hot.
These are very quick and easy to make with leftover baked sweet potato, so next time you’re making something in the oven just throw in an extra sweet potato. These biscuits freeze well, but should be thawed before reheating.
Tried this recipe?Tag me @HeatherNicholds so I can see!