This banana bread is exactly like what my mom would have made when I was younger, but with vegan ingredients. Back then, baking was the thing I really enjoyed in the kitchen, so when I was brainstorming recipes for the College Vegan cookbook I wanted to make sure to include some of those classic baked goods.
You can find 144 more easy, healthy & affordable recipes in the College Vegan cookbook. Check it out here: College Vegan
- ¼ cup coconut oil or vegan margarine, plus more for preparing the pan
- 4 bananas
- ½ cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups flour regular, white whole wheat, spelt, sorghum, or GF mix
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 5-by-7-inch loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the brown sugar, milk, flaxseed, vinegar, coconut oil, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until fully risen and slightly browned on top and springy to the touch.
- Let cool. Tip the loaf out of the pan and slice.