Homemade hummus is so quick and easy, and can be super tasty if you experiment with different additions.
Standard hummus is made with lemon juice, garlic and cumin for seasoning, but you can also branch off from there and make some really interesting flavor combinations.
This is a great spread to use in a wrap, like my Baked Falafel Wraps, for lunch.
Simple Homemade Hummus Recipe
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas or 1/2 cup dried, fully cooked
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1-2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1/2 tsp salt approx
- 1 tsp cumin
- handful fresh parsley chopped, garnish
- pinch paprika garnish
- pinch cumin garnish
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. If you are using dried beans, they will need to be fully cooked before you start. How To Cook Dried Beans
- Add everything but the garnishes to a food processor (best choice) or blender (works ok). Start pureeing, adding about 1/4 cup of water as it spins, with more water if necessary to get the consistency you like. You'll probably have to take the lid off and push down the mix that will fly up the sides of the processor.
- Spread the hummus on a plate, and sprinkle with any or all of: chopped fresh parsley, paprika and cumin.