Inspired by a can of curry parsnip soup in my grocery store that’s full of dairy, I wanted to make a version that was fresh and vegan! Since we’re moving into parsnip season, it seemed like time to give it a try…
This warm soup recipe is part of the September Fuel vegan cooking calendar. Download the calendar, and then follow along with one delicious vegan recipe per day. Or go with your own flow, and jump in whenever suits you.
Meals+ club members can get the recipe pack + grocery lists for the month here.
Creamy Curry Parsnip Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger minced, optional
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil or 1 Tbsp water or veg broth
- 4 medium parsnips (or 5-6 small), peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp curry powder mild or hot to your taste
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth or water + salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp fresh chives or green onion chopped
- Heat a large soup pot to medium high, and saute the parsnips, onion, ginger and garlic with a pinch of salt in the oil, water or broth.
- Stir in the curry powder and nutritional yeast, then pour in the broth. Leave this to simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until the parsnips are fully softened.
- When ready to serve, add the coconut milk and puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper, if necessary, to taste. Ladle into bowls, and top with chopped chives or green onion.