Brunch is one of the hardest meals to find as a vegan, and get something other than oatmeal or toast with peanut butter, unless you go to a restaurant that specifically serves vegan brunch. I love sweet brunches, like banana french toast, but savory brunch can be fun too.
Savory Brunch: Non-Tofu Scramble
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil or vegetable broth or water
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup chickpeas cooked or canned, mashed
- 1 tsp paprika smoked if possible
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- pinch sea salt to taste
- pinch black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Heat a large pan to medium high while you slice the mushrooms. Once the pan is hot, saute the mushrooms in your choice of olive oil, vegetable broth or water. Add a pinch of sea salt to help the mushrooms soften.
- While they're cooking, chop the zucchini, then add it to the pan.
- If you're using canned chickpeas, rinse and drain them. Mash the chickpeas with a potato masher, fork, or your fingers. Add them to the pan.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the chickpeas, and stir to combine.
- Toss in the cherry tomatoes and fresh parsley at the end, just to warm, reserving a small bit to use as garnish.
- Serve over some chopped spinach if you want, or along with some whole grain toast, or just on its own. Would be lovely topped with chopped fresh avocado.