Making homemade cranberry sauce is so easy. Like many condiments it’s nice to make them at home to avoid the excess sugars and preservatives in store-bought brands. Plus, you get so much more flavor in this recipe!
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 1 package fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup maple syrup or other unrefined sweetener
- ½ tsp cinnamon optional
- ¼ tsp nutmeg optional
- Put the cranberries, orange zest and juice, water, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small pot and bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling, turn the heat down to low and leave the cranberries to simmer.
- The berries will pop open, soften and start to thicken after about 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, leave it to cool, at room temperature or in the fridge, and it will solidify in about half an hour.