Spicy-sweet jerk chickpea tacos paired with fresh and juicy melon salsa is a perfect summer meal. Get ready to get messy… in a good way!
Taco rules to live by:
– always better with avocado
– always better with fresh lime juice
This refreshing summer recipe is part of the August meal plan calendar! Download the calendar, and then follow along with one delicious vegan recipe per day. Or go with your own flow, and jump in whenever suits you.
Meals+ club members can get the recipe pack + grocery lists for the month here.
Jerk Chickpea Tacos with Melon Salsa
- 1 19oz can chickpeas or 2 cups cooked
- 2 Tbsp onion minced
- 2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika if you can't find smoked, just omit this
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp unrefined sugar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/2 cantaloupe chopped, about 2 cups
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely minced
- 1/4 onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, minced
- pinch sea salt to taste
- 8-10 corn tortillas or whole grain wraps
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 cup lettuce shredded
- In a bowl or container, mix together the spices, salt, sugar, and olive oil, along with the zest from the lime. Toss the chickpeas to coat. Leave them to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Bake in an oven, toaster oven or BBQ preheated to approx 400F for 15 minutes, or until slightly dried and crispy.
- Toss all of the salsa ingredients together, along with the juice from the lime, and leave to marinate while the chickpeas are marinating.
- Warm the tortillas by putting in a dry skillet or oven for a couple of minutes, turning midway. Scoop some chickpeas, avocado and salsa into a tortilla, along with a handful of lettuce, and serve along with a lime wedge to squeeze over it.