As much as I adore chocolate, we do also need to eat some veggies once in a while… This beautiful and delicious vegan valentine’s salad is perfect to take on outside for a picnic if you’re lucky to have nice weather, or for a romantic evening in.
The beets not only make this plate a gorgeous red, on theme for Valentine’s day, but they also have compounds that help keep your heart healthy. What better way to show your love – for a date, and also for yourself?
Vegan Valentine's Salad
- 1 large beet or 2 small, peeled and diced
- 1 small zucchini or 1/2 large, quartered and thinly sliced
- 5 stems kale stems removed and finely chopped
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame beans or green peas
- 2 Tbsp sesame miso dressing
- Cut the beet into a small dice so that it cooks quickly. Put it into a small pot with a bit of water and a sprinkle of salt. Bring the water to a boil on medium-high heat, covered, and let the beets cook until they’re soft and sweet. That’ll take about 15-20 minutes, depending on how small the beet pieces are. Or for a sweeter flavor, you could toss them with a bit of olive oil and roast them in the oven at 400 F for about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the zucchini and kale. You can either sprinkle them with salt and massage them until they soften, or put them in for a few minutes at the end of the beet’s cooking time.
- Toss the edamames or peas in with the beets for a few minutes to heat them up. Then, you can either make a bed of massaged kale and zucchini to top with the beets and peas and drizzle with dressing – or toss all of the vegetables together in the pot with some dressing and place on plates.