Here’s a delicious creamy potato salad, made with cashew mayo so it’s vegan, for your summer BBQs, picnics, and pot lucks.
I also went into the nutritional benefits of potatoes, because they seem to be a food nutritionists usually love to hate – and I wanted to throw my opinion out there. I don’t cook with potatoes much, because I personally don’t have a taste for them – but that doesn’t reflect my opinion as a nutritionist!
More potato nutrition info: World’s Healthiest Foods
This recipe is new for the July vegan meal plan calendar, which you can download now.
Members can add this recipe to their planner.
Creamy Vegan Potato Salad with Cashew Mayo
- 8 potatoes scrubbed
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked/canned chickpeas rinsed
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
CASHEW MAYO INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2-1 tsp dijon mustard
- Start by cooking the potatoes. Put them in a pot with water and a pinch of salt, bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until they are soft. Drain them and put them in a bowl to cool.
- Make the mayo by pureeing the ingredients in a blender or food processor, with enough water to keep it moving. Start with 1/4 cup, and use more if necessary.
- Once the potatoes are cooled off, cut them into bite-size cubes and put them in a large bowl.
- Add the celery, chickpeas and green onion together in a large bowl, then scoop the mayo over them and toss.