This is a super creamy and delicious pumpkin pasta sauce, to give a change of pace from tomato sauce or pesto. Paired with mushrooms and spinach for texture and nutrition, it’s a great choice for a totally healthy meal that feels like an indulgence.
This recipe is part of the November Comfort vegan cooking calendar. Download the calendar, and then follow along with one delicious vegan recipe per day. Or go with your own flow, and jump in whenever suits you.
Meals+ club members can get the recipe pack PDF + grocery lists for the month here.
Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 4 oz whole grain pasta (about 3 cups dry)
- 4 mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 onion chopped small
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 1 tsp olive oil or water or veg broth
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage or 1 tsp dried, optional
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4-1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Cook the pasta, boiling for 8-10 minutes until just cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan to medium and saute the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in olive oil (or water or veg broth) until soft and lightly browned. Add the spinach, and toss until it wilts.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the pan, and add the pumpkin and non-dairy milk to the empty side, stirring them together into a thick sauce. Add the nutritional yeast, sage (if using), salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like. Toss the sauce through the vegetables.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain, and either toss in the pan with the sauce or serve topped with sauce.